CR - LACRALO General Assembly Part 1 Wednesday, March 14, 2012 – 08:00 to 10:00 ICANN - San Jose, Costa Rica

Elad Levinson:

Is it okay to begin at this point Heidi? Can you hear me okay? Yeah, okay. Is it okay to being? No? Good morning. I would like to start by just quickly recapping, go back and talk about where did we leave off and then where are we starting, so that we all have the same understanding. So, when we left on Monday we had a very, very good discussion about what is working and what is not working. And then also we brainstormed a list of ways that participation could be improved. And so that list was put into a Word document and that's where we're going to begin today.

So the decision that you all agreed to is that we're going to now look at ideas, suggestions and solutions for the items that are on the side of the list that's called "what is not working." So my suggestion to you was, on the side of the list that says "what is working," keep doing it. Whatever is working, don't stop. And then the things that are not working you have some suggestions and proposals that we're going to record, so we'll record all of the suggestions and proposals. And then, what you do with those suggestions and proposals, how you use them going forward, is what we'll talk about at the very end.

So we'll discuss what the next steps are with regard to the items that we come up with. And I told Jose and Dev that I would be very happy to volunteer to come to any of your meetings to help you continue with the work that you've started on this. If you should wish to have me, I would be happy to do that. Okay?

Jose Arcé: Thank you for that, Elad.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

Elad Levinson: I enjoy very much being a part of this process with you and I feel honored to

have this opportunity, as I know my colleague Rodrigo does. So, let's...

Sergio Salinas Porto: Can you hear me? Yes, excellent. This is Sergio Salinas Porto speaking. I

don't understand whether you are volunteering your presence at our General

Assembly or your participation during our teleconferences.

Elad Levinson: Teleconferences. Anything any other clarification of questions before we

begin? Okay, it's now 8:15, and so I'm going to have to adjust the agenda a

little bit in terms of the lost 15 minutes. Because we have to end about five minutes to 10 because at 10:00 this room is going to be used for another

presentation that many of you are coming to on consensus building. So why

don't we do this then, why don't we just start with the list and I'll read the item.

And then if anybody has a proposal or a suggestion or a solution that they'd like

to put up there, we'll put it in the column on the right.

So the first item that we have is interpretation on the conference call, I'm sorry,

what is not working is the mailing list translations and interpretation of the

teleconferences.

Rodrigo de la Parra: We have a comment we would like to make. I'm going to wait so that English

speakers wear their headphones. This is Rodrigo de la Parra speaking. It seems

that this is part of what we as ICANN staff can help you solve or work out.

Yesterday we had a very positive meeting with the people from the Translation

and Interpretation Department at our staff and also with the At-Large staff. And

I think we have a proposal.

We can say that what is working, I mean interpretation services are working

during the phone calls. What does not work are the subsequent translations.

And we did some research on the available software to do these tasks and it



seems that we have used the state of the art software available. However, we have a grammatical difference between English and Spanish, so we do not have a system that is powerful enough to solve this issue. So what we are ready and able to do is the following.

Since we have a very good human resource in charge of interpreting, we will have an additional monthly phone call, or two additional monthly teleconferences so as to make the most of the interpreters and they will be in charge of translating these documents. As you know, this is all recorded, so we would have a kind of electronic or audio document that would include the well translated documents that would be translated by the interpreters. I don't know if my colleagues from At-Large have any further comment.

Sergio Salinas Porto:

This is Sergio Salinas Porto. I really commend you for your concern on this. I know that this is the result of a work behind the scenes that is not always recognized; this concern about document translation and interpretation is really laudable. Here is my suggestion. Maybe we do not need an additional teleconference meeting, but if we could have these documents recorded in Spanish, and if we were able to download them when we have to debate the policies, at least these documents, that would be fine.

Because we had 47 voting opportunities at ALAC in the last year, if we had had those 47 documents in Spanish then we would have had a flow of communication between LACRALO and ALAC and ICANN. So, if we could have these documents in principle, if these documents were easily downloadable for us to listen to them, I do not think that we should have that additional interpretation time. Thank you.

Sylvia Herlein Leite:

This is Sylvia. No doubt this is going to be fantastic; that is to be able to listen apart from reading. Another serious problem we face is automatic translation in our email exchange list. When we write in Spanish, and we have talked about



this on many occasions, and we do our best efforts so as to write brief sentences. Well when we translate that automatically into English that makes no sense, and the same happens in the other direction. This is a communication tool we use on a daily basis in our region, so we need to work out the automatic email translation in our exchange list.

At one point we spoke about doing without the automatic translation system and having participants expressing themselves in their native language and then the recipient would be in charge of seeking a competent translator to translate the message. We haven't done so and in the years we have been undergoing this problem with the list that we use on a daily basis. We don't understand each other. Thank you.

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:

...for the transcript. I mean, I can empathize with the mailing list translation because it's a source of frustration in trying to understand what everybody is saying and sometimes it's just like you look at the list and you just wonder what is going on. So, I mean I can empathize. It seems to be a combination of – well, I'm not sure exactly what the factors are that are resulting in why it's not working as effectively as it could.

With regards to the possibility of having additional calls, in principle I agree with that, I just hope that there will be enough participation in such additional calls. I mean in our monthly calls as it is the participation is still very low. So if you have additional calls, would that scale up to really take advantage of it? That's my concern.

Just a thought here as another "suggestions, proposal, solution." Would having such, like calls, where you just have one call in Spanish, in other words with no interpretation. A meeting that is a call that is no interpretation, and I think in principle that would be a more relaxed conversation because there's no pausing and hesitating and speaking slowly and so forth. Do you think, and I'll offer that suggestion. If we would have like one call in English, one call in Spanish



and then the monthly call with interpretation, would that lead to better collaboration, understanding?

Guillermo Zamora:

Good morning, I'm Guillermo Zamora. I am from Argentina. Yesterday night I was reading this document so as to refresh my memory and I focused on the pros and cons and within the cons we have 17 fields on this table indicating negative factors. I saw that nine of these fields are connected with translation or communication and they were allocated to different fields on the table. I do not think the issue here is translation. I think the issue here is communication. This is the third time I've said this in my capacity as a newcomer to this group.

What I see is that people complain about translation or interpretation in the mailing list and even interpretation of what we say here. And I think that really the issue boils down to communication. Personally I work a lot with English speakers, my English is very, very poor and I need to understand the English speakers. And we were able to understand each other. I was working with a member of Trinidad and Tobago that speaks no Spanish, excuse me from Jamaica. Jose was not always available to help us and although we had a language issue we were able to understand each other.

So we are smart enough or wise enough to realize when what we say is well meant or not. So to put all the responsibility on the translator's shoulders, well if we say that the translation is poor it will always be so if that is what we mean. So it is an excuse to say that translation or interpretation services are poor and we should become accountable for what we want to do or say. Thank you.

Elad Levinson:

Because we have a very long list, as he pointed out, there are 19 items on the list, I'd like to just ask a clarifying question. Is it a good use of time to just focus on this issue for 30, 45 minutes and not give as much time to the others; that's one question? I'm looking for the sense of the group. Do you want to continue to work on this? The other option would be to have a working group,



to set aside a group of people who want to work on this outside of this meeting and to focus on it and to try to solve this problem in a smaller group. But I don't want to direct it, I would just like to know what the sense of the group is.

So how many, let's just get a show of hands. How many of you would say that you'd like to see this given to a working group of eight volunteers who would work on this off – not here today? Please raise your hand. Thank you very much. So this is my opinion, so I'll give you an opinion. I think that until you decide what you want to see as an end result, like what would the solution look like, until you can describe what you want the solution to look like, you really won't know whether it's communication or translation or both.

Right now, as an observer, I could say that I'm confused about whether it's translation – kind of the technical aspects of that, because there's some short term things that you could try with that, or whether the issue is larger and has to do with communication, which includes respect for each other's point of view, really trying to understand differences of opinion and also how we communicate.

So it looks to me like this could be tabled and given to a working group, is that right? Does anybody strongly disagree with doing that? Dev please?

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:

Just to say that I would just like to get some perhaps even five or ten minutes more, just to get some more concrete proposals and then the working group can then work on these ideas a little bit more.

Elad Levinson:

I think that that would be fine to take five, seven more minutes to keep the discussion going, and then giving it to a working group. Is that okay with everybody? Okay, no please.



Sergio Bronstein:

Sergio Bronstein. I don't agree. I think we have a proposal from ICANN. We have debated this. We have devoted a lot of time to this debate. Our issue as a working group goes far beyond communication, it is included on the list of issues and it is my feeling that we need to set up priorities on this list. And on the result of that priority, we need to start focusing on the most significant issues and then focus on the least significant ones. I do believe that communication does not rank first among our issues. I think our issue is related to a strategic aspect rather than on how we communicate.

Marcelo Telez:

Marcelo Telez. The question I would like to make is how can we reach a consensus decision if I see the ALSes from Latin America and only two from the Caribbean? I would like to see where the rest of the representatives are and this may give you an idea of our communication issues.

Male:

Excuse me Marcelo, in this regard I don't agree what you are saying; we are one region, not two regions. And the speaker did not identify himself.

Sergio Salinas Porto:

This is Sergio speaking. I wanted to agree with Marcelo, but I wanted to make a difference along the lines of what Alberto said. Our English speaking colleagues in the region except for our two colleagues whose presence I deeply appreciate because I see that they are interested in working out the issues in our region, but I don't see anybody else, so this is my concern. Thank you.

Male:

Excuse me, I don't want to go deeper into this; this is another issue we have. But they are all interrelated. I agree with setting up or creating a working group because I want to go back to the technical aspect. Sergio's idea or suggestion about having an interpreter reading the documents and then using a voice recognition software that would transcribe that automatically, well probably we



could have these two digital tools so that we have higher usability of the tools and accuracy would also be better. And the speaker did not identify himself.

Elad Levinson:

One more comment and then I'm going to make a suggestion about how to go forward. Please.

Rodrigo de la Parra:

Thank you Elad. This is Rodrigo de la Parra speaking. Just a brief comment. I agree in that this is not going to work out all the communication issues, but it is a small step forward of one of the needs that you voiced when we started with this list, when we compiled this list we see on the screen. We could have a working group and we could agree on whether we should have these teleconferences. The idea is that we are going to have the interpreters available during the teleconference and it is a good idea to use that human resource.

But this suggestion does not create a final comprehensive solution to all the communication problems. It was just a solution to the automatic translation issue. And of course the idea is not to have you all participating in an additional teleconference; you may have a separate different group, you may do it anytime. The idea is to make the most of the interpreters as a human resource.

Elad Levinson:

And we'll close this. Yes.

Male:

This is just a brief comment. I am a new member and as far as I know this issue of translation is an old problem. I understand that in 2009 you had a meeting and the same issue appeared. And up till now, 2010, 2011 we go on with the same problem. So I do believe that the working group that is going to be proposed should be focused not in discussing or keep on discussing the problem, but providing a solution for the problem. Because otherwise, we are going to



keep on discussing about the issue. And the ones not belonging to this working group are going to have their own opinions, but they should try at least to accept somehow these solutions that were proposed. Because otherwise, this is a vicious cycle, a never ending cycle.

Elad Levinson:

...and then I'd like to bring this to closure.

Antonio Medina:

I am Antonio Medina from Colombia. I would like to make a motion or a point of order. I would like you to read the 19 points of the agenda right now so as to be clear on what we have to work with and not to spend time dealing with a certain point, because we have taken enough time to discuss this previous point. So perhaps we can make a summary and classify them into different groups and focus on four main issues.

Elad Levinson:

We have what's called a process proposal and I just want to repeat it so that you hear it because I think that it's an important thing to understand. We have a list that has 19 items on it. Those 19 items could be categorized. So what we could do is review them very quickly, just go scroll down so that we all see them. Of course they're in English, but you did receive the Spanish version, so you do have that. No?

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:

This is Dev Anand Teelucksingh for the record. IT was emailed on the LACRALO "see all" list; the list of 19 that has been put in English and Spanish.

Elad Levinson:

Good thank you. So all of you did receive those. We could just quickly scroll back so we could kind of look at them very quickly. And then there's a way that we could categorize these, there's two different ways that I could propose. One



way of categorizing them would be to lump things together as this gentleman did, he said "There are seven items that have to do with translation and communication," and there probably are several that have to do with strategic planning.

And then another way of categorizing this would be in terms of short, medium and long. So things you could work on immediately within the next six months and set a deadline to solve; those things that take a year, 12 months, that's medium; and then long would be an 18 month period. So that would be a category we could put things into and that would help us in terms of being able to maybe have a plan at the end. Is there anybody that is not willing to now move on, just to close the item that we've been talking about?

There's a working group that's been proposed. There's a consensus that that's a good idea, that we should have a working group. How do you want to get volunteers? Do you want volunteers to come through email or do you want volunteers today? Okay. So would you please – who will record this, who will record whose volunteering? Okay thank you. So would you raise your hand if you'd like to be on the working group to solve the translation/communication?

Heidi Ullrich: Elad, could maybe they just say their names as well?

Elad Levinson: Okay good, please say your name.

Jose Arcé: Jose Arcé.

Juan Rojas: Juan Rojas.



[Umberto Carasco]: [Umberto Carasco].

Sergio Salinas Porto: Sergio Salinas Porto.

Dev Anand Teelucksingh: Dev Anand Teelucksingh.

Gilberto Lara: Gilberto Lara.

Elad Levinson: So seven, eight people, and then I know there's a couple of people that are not

present in the room who were here on Monday; you might ask them if they'd like to volunteer, like Fatima. So, we're closing this issue. Now, we're going to

move on and we're going to review just very quickly scroll down. Yes please?

Antonio Medina: My suggestion is this; we are creating a working group to review the

communication issue. I insist on the fact that we should read the 19 items because this working group might be able to work out not only communication

issues but other three topics. So why are we going to create three working

groups if we can create just one devoted to these issues and that may give us a

solution for the identified problems?

Male: I must say that I do not agree with what my colleague Antonio said, and I'm

going to explain why in a very respectful way. The fact of creating different working groups allows us to deal with the issues in a better way and this allows

the participation of a greater amount of people, and this is the aim of a working

group, we need people to work with us. We need the participation of At-Large



participants. So if we have three, four or nine people the rest are not going to be

able to participate. Do you understand?

Heidi Ullrich: Sorry, the interpreters have asked could you please state your names before

speaking?

Elad Levinson: Thank you.

Ana Sanchez: This is Ana from ISOC Ecuador. I do not agree Antonio because the important

issue in this meeting is that we all participate and we should all participate in at least one working group and we have to work in strategic planning and

communication. We all want to change, we want to participate and this is the

way of doing it.

Freddy Linares: I am Freddy Linares from ISOC Peru. I think that I would, we should avoid the

excessive coordination for each topic and we should move forward because I

understand the goodwill of trying to find the best methodology so as to how to

deal with the items on the agenda, but if we're going to identify how to improve

the coordination of the issues somehow we are going to coordinate was is already coordinated and we are going to waste time in this. I do believe that we

should review the topics and perhaps the working groups may meet and

coordinate amongst each other and perhaps semi-coordinate a common meeting.

Elad Levinson: ...here, here and then here.



Alberto Soto:

I would ask a small favor. I am Alberto Soto. I would ask you a favor, you all know me. Last night I didn't go to the music night and I did my homework. And as I did so, if I give it to you I think we should avoid a lot of time in discussing this. If you do agree, Elad, I will give you my work and you see that this will be brief.

Elad Levinson:

Just point of order – so we had a proposal here for reviewing, just looking at the list; looking it over, right. And then we've now made a decision that there's a working group that's going to be working on translation/communication, and we had volunteers for that. Now we're having a discussion about should we have other working groups for other topics or subjects that are up there. I don't want to lose the thread; I'm just trying to make sure that you understand that this is what we've been talking about.

And now we have a proposal that one person do a presentation on what he thought about last night. What I'd like to do is finish with the comments of these two, and then with your permission, we'll turn the floor over to Alberto. Is that acceptable? Okay. So please if we can have your comment and then yours.

Raul Bauer:

This is Raul Bauer. It is a question more than a comment. I think we are confusing or mixing up language and interpretation and communication in one issue. I share my views with Guillermo. We do have communication culture problems. We have problems in presenting the problems and this is somehow deepened by the language barrier. So I think we should divide the issues. Translation issue is something that might have an easier solution and the other issue is a deeper solution related to the strategic planning. We should take into account the communication problem in this way. Thank you.

Guillermo Zamora:

I am Guillermo Zamora from Argentina. I didn't go to the music light because I feel asleep so I just had to do my homework. I didn't read the good part of the



points, but I was interested in knowing in fact about the force of problems that we have within the structure. According to what I understood without having all the knowledge, I think we have two issues and this list of 19 issues should be divided into two big topics. On one hand we have language and on the other side the internet organization or the bureaucratic management to put it somehow.

Within language, this is related to what Alberto said, I found two divisions. On one had dealing with the issue of language and I do insist this is not a linguistic question or issue; this is a political issue and a goodwill issue. And on the other hand we have the internet bureaucratic management in which I do believe we are not agreeing on the way in which we are moving forward. And this exceeds the language barrier and this is something related to our function here, which is to move forward in the management of the organization.

Elad Levinson:

Exclamation point I guess.

Guillermo Zamora:

Sorry. So I am referring to the planning issue and the fact of creating a strategic plan so as to move forward.

Zelris Lawrence:

I am Zelris Lawrence from ICTV for Jamaica. I just want to make a comment, share my views basically. I think I was sharing with our working group that one of the ways to facilitate participation is to have groups or sectors, so as to draw persons with various strengths. And I think the group, even though you may form groups, it doesn't mean that you're going to be separate from the overall group itself. We'll be still working together but you're putting those with a certain strength together so that those who are working with strategic planning, or visions and missions will work together, and those who are going to be dealing with translation and communications they also will work together. Thank you.



Elad Levinson:

Thank you very much. Let me now follow the agreement that we made, so in just a moment we'll get to your comments Alberto. Let's just go through the list and at least let's just review it okay? And this will give you a chance to have any insights. So we have the list up in Spanish right now, and those of you that are English speakers, you could look at your document on your laptop and follow along. Matt, if you would scroll please. And just go slowly enough so that people can read it.

Okay. With your permission, I'd like to offer a comment. I think that there are four big groupings that all of the items fit within. One grouping is strategic planning and that would include vision, mission, and then strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats internal and then with end users, external. So that's one category, strategic planning.

Second category is communication and there were many items on there that have to do with dissemination of information, how we treat each other etc, that's communication. Third area is translation, which we have a working team on. And then the fourth area is governance, and governance is the ability to reach consensus efficiently and effectively. So those are the four that I see. Matt?

Excuse me?

Heidi Ullrich:

Repeat number one please.

Elad Levinson:

Oh okay. Number one is strategic planning. Yeah. Do you want me to repeat the whole thing? Just the category? Thank you. So those are my comments. And now we have Alberto who has thought a lot about this, is this a – please.



Michael Forde:

Michael Forde, Barbados. I just wanted to point out that there is an error in the very last point, where it says "within LACRALO there is no session planning." The person who made that contribution actually said "succession" and I'll attempt some Spanish here, la successione, rather than session.

Elad Levinson:

Thank you very much for the clarification, that's my memory also. Please Alberto if you would, take the floor.

Alberto Soto:

This is Alberto Soto. Matt is going to put a presentation, I have three minutes. So what I did would be recommended as, and this is gathering together in summarized points, good points where we think it is okay and how we think we should improve this. This is the methodology provided by Elad and according to the negative points we were going to see how we should solve them.

If they do work we may improve them. Can you find the presentation? And if the point doesn't work, fix it. We should see the positive or present the positive points first and then the negative points. Then we should take one of these points, any of them -I have three minutes left.

So "it works" equals "increase"; "doesn't work" equals "improvement. This is my presentation. Next slide please. For example, interpreters in conference calls, this does work, so we need to conference calls for ALSes training. Then another positive point, high participation of ALSes in Costa Rica, therefore we need to increase participation and we need to reduce the category of the hotels and conference calls interpreters. Oh sorry, this is a mistake in my presentation; the slides are doubled.

Next slide please. Working group – it does work, therefore we need to create a regional working group about regional topics contributing to the ICANN working groups. Therefore we should plan in the short, medium and long term the solution of troubleshooting doesn't work, therefore we need to use other resources available – emails, conference calls, Skype, etc.



Collaboration among the RALO members – is this working? Translation of emails – is it working? This doesn't work. These are quick solutions. Sending mails without translation. Those receiving the emails should solve the problem by using Google Translator, any of these are a better solution than the current method. The fact that we have bad communication, okay we need to improve this automatically.

We need goals, okay, this should be improved according to the proposed [plenification] in the [YES] session. Next slide please. We do not have internet consensus. This may be improved with the working groups and the use of the resources. We do not have respect for each other. Okay, that is a personal point or a personal problem and the moderator should be in charge of this. Next slide please.

[Plenification] for example, first topic the usage of conference calls for training. This is vital for a newcomer ALS. We need training for regional groups. We need training for each working group, training for the creation or formation of leaders, for training of leaders, training for understanding the ICANN structure and functionality, training for working with the Wiki, and training for the working works of ICANN. And then we will see the same thing according to my criteria.

So we are going to analyze same issue, but with a priority. Next slide please. In this case, what we have is the cost of this. It doesn't matter what, from one to eight, if we are working according to the [Batch it Per] Program, this is the next year [plenification] and we know the money that we're going to have. The red lines are not going to be carried out because of the lack of money, so this is very important because we need to take into account that we have to execute things that are of priority for us.

So I take the sum of money, so we have money to execute up to point six, but these are the most important topics or points. Next slide. Okay, that's all. Thank you very much.



Elad Levinson:

Yes please. This is a good time now to reflect on Alberto's comments, so this is a chance to discuss or ask any questions or clarification. Please.

Roosevelt King:

I just wanted to talk about or at least mention the point about "just not respectful of each other." I have been up on some of this and really and truly it is more translation then lack of respect. Just let me see if I can find an example. For example, you might say "it is not your turn to go," but then the translation that comes back at me says "I have no right to go." Sorry. SO I'm just wondering if it wasn't translation because I know that the translation because you're wrong about some things that Spanish goes or even French goes, it could tend to convey the wrong meaning or the wrong impression. Thanks.

Elad Levinson:

Okay, so Alberto put quite a bit of work into his presentation. There were some very provocative ideas in there, so let's take five minutes of so for any reactions to what you saw and anything that you might like to comment on, so please go ahead. Who would like to start? Please.

Antonio Medina:

This is Antonio Medina from Colombia. I think Alberto's proposal coincides with my approach. Our issue is not only a communication issue but it has to do with the analysis of this process in which we all participated and gave or made our contributions. So this is an element that enriches the future work of the working group, so this is a good start.

Sergio Salinas Porto:

This is Sergio speaking. I don't know if I have any further comments. I think he summarized what we have been saying for the last two or three years within our RALO in terms of how we should organize ourselves. So I fully support Alberto's proposal and his proposal is in line with some things I had written



myself. And I did go to the music night Alberto, and for the record, this is Sergio Salinas Porto.

Elad Levinson:

You were at the music night, that's the important thing. Yes please.

Guillermo Zamora:

I am Guillermo Zamora from Argentina. I fully agree with Alberto's presentation. It shows that he worked harder than I did. My only observation would be the following. Probably the presentation was too fast. I have the impression that all the advantages and disadvantages presented could be grouped into two big issues or two big approaches. On the one hand language, and on the other hand internal bureaucratic management; within the latter we should focus on training. And I insist probably the presentation was too fast and I don't remember everything.

I saw many points related to training and I don't know if we need all of these instances of training, maybe we could narrow them down. Because the more topics we have, the more bureaucracy we have, but in a negative sense. In Argentina we had a government and administration that used to say "Well if you don't want anything achieved, set up a committee." So if you don't want to reach any results, set up a committee. So, if we start creating many committees or commissions and focusing on many instances of training, we do not reach any concrete results. Thank you.

Elad Levinson:

The gentleman next to you had his hand up. Yes please.

Sergio Bronstein:

I'm Sergio Bronstein. A lawyer used to say that "a debt without a maturity date is not a date," and if we set up working groups they need to have a deadline. If not, what Guillermo said will come true. That is we will keep on putting off our



decisions. When it comes to committees or commissions, I think we have identified a language issue, which is an urgent issue. And the way in which we exchange information is an issue. And we have a short terms objective in terms of training and we need to learn how to promote more participation within LACRALO and ICANN. And then there is another issue that has to do with planning. In the face of our role as LCARALO within ICANN and in the face of LACRALO and our role in communicating with different users I think that communication is a subordinating issue to our strategic planning.

Roosevelt King:

Do I need to say it again? Roosevelt King. I tend to agree with the last speaker. Because if you have something and you can't manage it, you're not managing it. It goes nowhere. But you cannot decide not to set up committees because committees are a way of getting people to participate and allowing stakeholders to really put their stake into what is happening. ICANN is so large that think about one or two committees to do this work and the number of issues that you have to deal with is really in need of expertise, not just overall expertise, but expertise in all areas; whether it be communication, whether it be law, whether it be public relations.

It's too large not to have working committees. But you need to manage the working committees. So I totally agree with the last speaker.

Elad Levinson:

So let me just point out we're at about five after nine and we have about 50 minutes. And if I were in your position, I would want to see action. I would want to know that what came out of this would lead to something tangible. And so my suggestion is that we now have very specific proposals about how to go forward. For example, one proposal would be for a number of working groups that would address specific items that are on the list, ask for volunteers and agree on some sort of a timeframe within which they will deliver their product.



So that's one way of addressing this, but I'm only offering it as a suggestion. What do you want to do to feel successful and to go forward? So I'm looking for some specific ideas, proposals about what to do. Who would like to speak up?

Umberto Carasco:

I am Umberto Carasco for the record. I think we should do the following. When we speak fast maybe we don't think that much, but we need to speak anyway. I think that perhaps our Chair or the person we appoint should be in charge of controlling the progress of working groups in terms of objectives and deadlines. And this is a way of driving these initiatives. Working groups have their own goals, but they need somebody to supervise them, to monitor they're progress.

So this is what is done at least in the EU projects, so as to complete projects within reasonable timelines.

Sergio Salinas Porto:

Thank you. Sergio Salinas Porto for the record. I am worried about something and I want to voice my concern here. Maybe we need to look for still another solution. We are in the process of sorting out issues within our RALO and I am deeply moved by the future objectives we want to reach. But I am also concerned about policies. We need to see how we will have groups that have nothing to do with our internal structure and how we will coordinate these groups, and how we create outward looking policies.

I don't know if we will focus on this at a further stage, but given what my friend Umberto said, I believe that, I don't know if it's our Chair the one that should be really in charge of this. It is the Chair that should have the executive initiative and probably our secretary or secretariat should actually be in charge of coordinating and organizing this, so as to develop this and materialize it.

In terms of the RALOs internal administration, the secretary is not the Chair's secretary but he is the organizations executive secretary. Thank you.



Juan Manuel Rojas:

I'm Juan Manuel Rojas. I agree with Umberto. We do need the working groups, but I think the most appropriate proposal would be to make the most of the four topics proposed for the working groups and let us once and for all create the working groups. And if possible we should set specific goals, not only in terms of timelines, but in terms of work for each working group. And we would make significant progress. Thank you.

Roosevelt King:

I also must agree with Umberto. I just got concerned with some words that came back at me like "control," there must be somebody to control what's going on. What I would say is not so much somebody to control, what you really need is a facilitator; somebody who would pull things together and help to guide the committee in terms of the steps that they ought to make. And I would also agree with Sergio that this is really the work of the secretariat and not so much the Chairperson. But that comes down to the secretariat because as much as the Chairperson is the wrong person, the secretariat is the wrong person too.

So what you really need are volunteers who can assist the secretariat. Each group should have a facilitator; somebody who will pull things together. And then probably by coordinating with the secretariat, then you can have that full picture. Because the problem really is that when you go in pieces you don't have the full picture. Somebody must be able to pull the whole picture together so that you can see where you are actually going.

Matt Ashtiani:

Hey just a general point of order, this is Matt Ashtiani from staff. Please be sure to state your name before you speak every single time. I just want to be clear on that. It's not for the people in the room; you can clearly see each other, but it's for the record. And also, I know I speak fast myself, but please be sure to speak at a reasonable rate for our translators – interpreters. Thank you.



Elad Levinson: Thank you. So over here Alberto and then over here.

Alberto Soto: This is Alberto Soto. We run out of time and we keep debating on how to work

and we haven't formed the working groups. We don't even have time to form the working groups here and now. So I suggest we should form the working groups. We are going to have to leave the room and therefore we should create the working groups by using our email exchange list. And we should work exactly as the ICANN working groups do, because we are really wasting a lot of

time.

Javier Chandia: I am Javier Chandia from Internauta Chile. I am not a soft spoken person. So

first of all we spoke in terms of administration and therefore we need some kind of evaluation along those lines. We have spoken about communication, translation and we spoke about the purpose of our communication. What for? Well, we are back to square one in terms of how ICANNs policies affect the

users. We are beating about the bush and we are not focusing the central point.

We are not addressing the central issue. This is my perception, my view.

Elad Levinson: The central point that you're making is policy development? Is that right?

Javier Chandia: Yes.

Elad Levinson: Thank you very much. Please.

Jose Luis Barzallo: Buenos Dias, I am Jose Luis Barzallo from AEDIT Ecuador. I think we all

clearly know what the problem is, what the problems are and also the solutions



that we have suggested today and that we have debated. I am following Alberto's line of thought and that's why I asked for the floor. Mainly we need to define what we want and where we want to go. I commend these initiatives because they definitely open up the door towards progress. It has been very hard for us to organize ourselves, but we see that little by little we are taking the right path. I believe this ship is not sinking as many external people that are not in our RALO believe. However, there's work to do. So please, let us materialize that and let us move forward because we love debating, we love speaking, but please, let us reach some definition. Thank you.

Elad Levinson:

I'm going to make a suggestion. We have a proposal from Alberto that we form working groups now. Is there anybody that strongly disagrees with taking that action now? Did you want to make a comment Dev? Please.

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:

Dev Anand Teelucksingh for the transcript record. So just to clarify, just to make sure I understand it. We are trying to form four working groups each on the four issues here – strategic planning, communications, translation and governance. Is that right? I guess it's good to have those, to try to create the working groups, but I guess obviously the thing to do will be to try to determine what the objectives of each working group will then become. So I suppose yes, but with obviously clear objectives, clear ideas of what it is. And of course it has to be in a transparent manner. That I think is also critical.

Elad Levinson:

Okay. So please.

Jose Arcé:

This is Jose Arcé for the record. I agree with Dev. My suggestion is that each working group should have its own Chair that would be in charge of setting the



objectives and sharing them in our list to see if we all agree, and then move forward. Thank you.

Sergio Bronstein:

This is Sergio Bronstein. Apart from setting objectives, each working group must have a working plan and timelines. I insist on this, on objectives, delivery times, and debate timelines and closing timelines.

Umberto Carasco:

This is Umberto Carasco for the record. We are gradually defining a structure of how we should work. So my suggestion, and it is a suggestion is that one or two persons that we can appoint right now should draft a standard format of the working plan of each working group so that each of us work with the same format. So we choose one or two persons. They prepare the format. They make it public. We have a two day period to agree or to make comments. Then we approve it. And on the basis of that document, we create the working groups that will have to observe that document and we will appoint their Chair or coordinator that will report to the Chair or the secretariat.

Elad Levinson:

...what I've heard. There are a number of proposals that relate to the working groups. So number one, that each working group would have a Chairman and that secondly, each working group would have specific objectives that would have timelines. Number three, that there be a standardized format or methodology that each working group would work from and that that would be transparent and published regularly, so that everybody knew how those working groups were working. Did I capture what you have suggested? Okay. Well if it's acceptable, we're going to take volunteers right now for each of the working groups and we'll list them so that we have the membership and then you can decide on who's the Chair within your working group. Is that okay?



Dev Anand Teelucksingh:

Dev Anand Teelucksingh for the transcript record. In general I agree with you Elad. And just to follow up what Jose said, once the call for membership, again in the interest of transparency, anybody who is now reading and reading what the objective of the working group can then decide "Okay, I want to participate in that because I think that is important to me and I can contribute to that." That's it.

Elad Levinson:

So I'm sorry, I think I missed – I'm not sure I understood. So could somebody then join after we take volunteers?

Dev Anand Teelucksingh:

I would say yes, not just people on this room, but once everybody is aware of it. Because after defining it you might get, somebody might say "you know what reading this I think this is more important" or maybe you want to join more than one.

Elad Levinson:

Okay. Well let's start with strategic planning since that's the first one on the list. Jose?

Jose Arcé:

This is Jose Arcé for the record. Before we start with the working groups, I would like to take Umberto's proposal on board and I will be in charge of sending this document with the standard format that the working groups will apply the standard methodology; I can do that.

Elad Levinson:

Yes please, Roosevelt.



Roosevelt King:

You know I have problems with this central control. I think that each group should be allowed to develop what its mission is, each group in this case becomes an expert. Each area of concern, each issue, each group may have different approaches, methods of approach because of nature of the topic or the mission. And I think you should leave the groups to develop a timetable.

Okay you say you can have some basic rules. Oh I'm so sorry, Roosevelt King for the record. But you should have some basic rules; I have no objection to that. But actually sitting down and saying "this committee must do that and this committee...," I think it's not the best way to go. I think that you can say "this committee must establish a timetable," but don't say that each committee must report in two weeks or three weeks. Because the work of each committee may be such that it may take two weeks for one, it may take one week for the other.

So again, this is also a part of establishing stakeholdership. You don't want to be going down the road and forcing people and rushing people and then end up with an incomplete job. I think the committee should work out their timetables. Thank you very much.

Elad Levinson:

So we have – yes, please.

Ana Sanchez:

I am Ana for the record. I think that what Jose is going to create is a methodology, a communication way for each group to work on the same lines in the same communication means so that we do not have communication problems. We have to break that barrier. Now, each group should organize itself. Each group should present or submit its schedule and so on, but everything is going to be based on a unique methodology and this will help to avoid problems.



Male: In answer to, or to add to what Roosevelt said, I see nothing wrong with being

asked to report. It doesn't mean that you will necessarily have had to reach a conclusion, but at least as part of the communication process everyone would

know where everyone is. So reporting, being asked to report, there's nothing

wrong with that.

Elad Levinson: So, are we at a point where people now are prepared to volunteer? Anything

further that anybody wants to add before we ask for volunteers? Okay, so what we are doing now, if you'll look up there, there are four categories of working

groups. There's strategic planning; there's communication; there's translation and there's governance. And would you now raise your hand, and also state

your name, if you want to be on the working group for strategic planning.

Okay so, let's go around the room and so we have, please state your name.

Alberto Soto: Alberto Soto.

Jose Arcé: Jose Arcé.

Sergio Bronstein: Sergio Bronstein.

Sylvia Herlein Leite: Sylvia Herlein.

Roosevelt King: Roosevelt King

Ana Sanchez: Ana Sanchez.

Freddy Linares: Freddy Linares.

Javier Chandia: Javier Chandia.

Hubert Lara: Hubert Lara.

Johnny Laureano: Johnny Laureano.

Raul Bauer: Raul Bauer.

Elad Levinson: That's a very full working group for strategic planning. Thank you. Did I miss

something.

Matt Ashtiani: Hi, I've recorded the names on the screen. If I missed you please let me know.

Elad Levinson: Would you look up at the screen and make sure that your name is up there. Is

there anybody that was missed?

Alberto Soto: Alberto Soto for the record. Alberto Soto first line please. Raul Bauer is

missing. Sergio Bronstein is also missing.



Elad Levinson: Okay thank you very much. So we are now going to move onto the second

working group, which is communication. And if you would raise your hand and then speak your name so that we know who is volunteering. So we'll start right

here please.

Marcelo Telez: Marcelo Telez.

Hubert Lara: Hubert Lara.

Roosevelt King: Roosevelt King.

Dev Anand Teelucksingh: Dev Anand Teelucksingh.

Juan Rojas: Juan Rojas.

Guillermo Zamora: Guillermo Zamora.

Jose Arcé: Jose Arcé.

Alfredo Lopez: Alfredo Lopez.



Dev Anand Teelucksingh: Sorry, just a clarification thing just popped in my head and I'm sorry for

bringing this up. But did we call for the working group already? I'm just

suddenly realizing...

Elad Levinson: The working group is for translation, we already have that.

Dev Anand Teelucksingh: Okay, just clarifying.

Elad Levinson: Yeah we don't need to – so that's the working group for communication. We

have the working group for translation, right? Everybody has already had...yes

please.

Umberto Carasco: I'm going to speak in Spanish, this is Umberto Carasco. I would like to give up

the translation point because I want to participate in the governance working

group, please. Remove my name from the translation group.

Male: You can't do both? You have a problem with the time? Because I'm thinking

that if you...

Umberto Carasco: Okay, but only if you participate there. Okay. So I'll stay in the two of them.

Elad Levinson: Okay, last working group is governance. Who would like to be in that working

group? Yes please.





Jose Salguiero: Jose Salguiero. Freddy Linares: Freddy Linares. Dev Anand Teelucksingh: Dev Anand Teelucksingh. Fatima Cambronero: Fatima Cambronero. Roosevelt King: Roosevelt King. Natalia Encisco: Natalia Encisco. Sergio Salinas Porto: Sergio Salinas Porto. Umberto Carasco: Umberto Carasco. Alberto Soto: Alberto Soto and I would like to be as rich as my friend [Ken]. Jose Arcé: Jose Arcé. Jose Luis Barzallo: Jose Luis Barzallo.

Antonio Medina: Antonio Medina.

Ana Sanchez: I'm going to learn with you so I will participate. My name is Ana.

Elad Levinson: We have four working groups and we have members of each of those and the

agreement is that those working groups will define what their objectives are; they will develop a methodology for working together. That they will communicate to the other working groups where they are in their process so that we have a good understanding of that. And that Jose will coordinate the working groups. Is there anybody that has not volunteered for a working group

that would like to before we close this? Yes, Jose?

Jose Arcé: Yes, moving forward I would like to say that there are many people who have

problems with the email, so I would like to coordinate that the emails that are part of the list are the ones that are being used, because otherwise we will have

another communication problem. So I would like to solve this issue before

finishing this session.

Zelris Lawrence: Hi, Zelris Lawrence. I would like to be part of the strategic planning and

governance.

Elad Levinson: Thank you very much. Yes please?



Antonio Medina: Good morning. I am Antonia Medina from Colombia. I think what Jose is

saying is the beginning of the first process in the communication working group.

These recalling or the collection of the emails and the verification of these emails is the first step. I would like to say that my name is wrong and it seems it

is a Russian name at this moment, so please correct it.

Elad Levinson: Okay. Yes please.

Zelris Lawrence: Yes, Zelris Lawrence here again. Just clarification on what's described as

putting down - it's Z-E-L-R-I-S; tell me if you got that. Yes. And it's L,

Lawrence; not T.

Elad Levinson: Alright, so we have about 15-20 minutes and how would you like to use the

remaining time? Any suggestions or proposals about the remaining time?

Please, Roosevelt.

Roosevelt King: I think there is need for the groups to get together, even if it's only to identify a

Chair of each group. So that when you leave here at least you've somewhat

constructed what do you call it - structured. And I think that the facilitator

should be one of the people there – a Chair and a facilitator.

Elad Levinson: So just in terms of the structure of the working groups, the proposal is that there

is a Chair and that the Chair is responsible for the agenda being met. The

facilitator who guides the meeting and makes sure that everybody gets to

participate; that's your suggestion Roosevelt?



Roosevelt King: Yes sir.

Elad Levinson: Okay, thank you. Here and here, yes.

Sergio Salinas Porto: This is Sergio Salinas Porto for the record. First, I think that the leaders of the

groups should be elected by the working groups; that is a definition that should be taken into account. A group is going to work well if the group chooses its own leader. Secondly, as I said before, this depends on the Chairman and the secretary and the Chairman should have an executive attitude and the secretary

will be in charge of the organization of the group.

So I suggest first that the secretary and Chair are the ones calling or completing this activity, and then I suggest a meeting of the groups separately for them to elect their leaders and then we should meet together so as to see how the

working groups are going to work.

Umberto Carasco: This is Umberto Carasco for the record. I agree with Roosevelt's proposal. I

think we should have a coordinator or a facilitator within each group and he or she should report to the Chair and secretary. If this is going to be carried out or not, perhaps it's not that important, but I think this is the correct way of moving

forward.

Jose Arcé: Just a clarification, when Umberto talks about the coordinator activities, are you

talking about reporting to the LACRALO Chair?

Umberto Carasco: This is Umberto Carasco. The coordinator or the facilitator, depending on the

name that we are going to choose, is the one responsible for seeing the day to

day activities, and therefore the coordinator and facilitator will answer the Chair and will report to the Chair, because this way everything is going to be much quicker and we avoid the President pushing all the members within the group.

So I would like to make a proposal, once we decide the schedule or define the schedule we should define the deadlines for the publication of results in order to avoid drafts, which should say on a certain date we are going to receive the documents and therefore we should avoid discussion about drafts.

Male:

I will suggest or stop suggesting we will have a base document, all of us are going to have the freedom to work on the document, set the deadline; so I think we're wasting time, a very important piece of time.

Rodrigo de la Parra:

This is Rodrigo de la Parra speaking. Just an administrative issue, this is 20 till 10, we have the members of the working groups already, and my suggestion is that we should use this time to determine or establish the deadlines for deliverables. I mean I'm talking about the deliverables of the working groups.

Elad Levinson:

...group meet now and come up with a deadline or that we agree as a large group? Okay, alright.

Heidi Ullrich:

Elad, this is Heidi. Just a point, that we have many working groups that have the same members, so I'm not sure how they could meet together. So staff would be able to organize small meeting rooms for these groups throughout the week if you wish to do that.



Elad Levinson:

That sounds like the most logical way to address it. So the suggestion from Rodrigo is that before we end we come up with an agreement about the deadline for the working groups final product, is that right? Like whatever the objectives are to be met? Okay, so is there any discussion right now about coming up with the deadline for the work product, the result from the objectives being met? Yes please.

Jose Arcé:

This is Jose Arcé for the records. On Friday during the morning we could set up deadlines so that we can meet and define the working groups and the objectives. This is my proposal.

Male:

When it comes to the group of the work of the Strategic Planning Working Group, I think it is important that all the main input for the creation for the strategic plan will depend on everybody's contribution. So if the staff of Heidi commit themselves to provide us a room tomorrow or on Friday, we will be able to develop the main activity in the Strategic Planning, which is giving an analysis or providing an analysis and create a SWOT analysis because throughout teleconferences this is going to be very difficult. So we should make the most of ourselves to participate in a meeting so as to have that information. Then we can approve all the steps and move forward. But I think it is vital for us to meet in order to have that initial input, in order to develop the strategic plan.

Male:

I would like to say that on Friday 10:30 I am coming back to my country, Caracas, but I support the motion of my colleagues.

Elad Levinson:

Let me make a suggestion, why don't we agree – the proposal is that we agree that by Friday morning all of the working groups will have met and that they



will have at least completed having a Chair or at least somebody who is responsible for then convening forward. So, you have to make the decision when you're going to meet, but rather than specify right now that at lest by Friday morning it be done. Is that acceptable? So all the working groups will meet before Friday morning and that they will convene and organize themselves. Yes? Anybody not agree with that? Okay good, we have an agreement.

Heidi Ullrich:

This is Heidi. Could I suggest that what we do is we send out immediately, in the next two hours, to the LACRALO CR list the names of these people in these working groups? We will then send out doodles to those people to find a good time for everyone and then we'll set up meeting rooms today and tomorrow. Yes, everyone is on the CR list. The CR LACRALO list. Well we'll send out emails.

Elad Levinson:

Is that okay with everybody? Matt?

Matt Ashtiani:

Hi, this is Matt Ashtiani for the record. Can I just ask that we review the list for a minute and if you are not on the list that I've written up and you wanted to be on it that you let me know? If you are on the list and you did not want to be on it, let me know.

Elad Levinson:

Okay, so let's quickly do that Matt. The first one is strategic planning, make sure that you are included if you wanted to be or that you're not if you don't. Okay, let's move on to the second one, communication. Okay thank you, number three, translation. Okay, and number four.



Sergio Salinas Porto: Matt, this is Sergio Salinas Porto for the record. I'm going to follow the line of

my colleague. When it comes to the translation and communication group I would like to be removed and I would like to participate and I'm going to

suggest in the Governance Working Group because I don't think I will be able to

cover all the issues. Thank you.

Elad Levinson: Is there anybody that wants to be deleted? Juan.

Juan Rojas: I would like to be added in the Governance Working Group. My name is Juan

Rojas.

Elad Levinson: Going once, going twice, going three times – closed. Okay, I would like to

suggest something. In the next few minutes let's evaluate the working sessions.

And the way that I suggest is that we start out by what was a plus. So in your opinion, what worked well? And then we'll look at what I call "deltas," so what

could be better? And so what we're evaluating is the time that we spent on

Monday and the time that we spent this morning. Anything that you thought

worked well, let's start there, and then anything that you would like to see

improved.

So this is a chance to give feedback to me, but it's also a chance to give

feedback to Jose and to Dev and to each other. Okay, so who would like to

start? Anything at all that was on the plus side for anybody? Yes please.

Raul Bauer: From my point of view, the positives or pluses is that we have – my name is

Raul Bauer - the pluses is that we had a great action source to overcome the

barriers that we have right now.



Alberto Soto: As a plus I would say the high level of participation of all the ALSes and their

commitment.

Elad Levinson: Okay, and then on the other side, in your mind what could be improved, what

could be better? What would you like to see different or improved? Here and

then here.

Male: I would like to see all the members of LACRALO in this room today and this

didn't happen. We have some absent people here.

Male: I would like that each participant analyzes their ideas because are really wasting

a lot of time when we think while we speak. So we have a wasted timeframe

which is very, very high.

Elad Levinson: Anything else anyone would like to suggest could be an improvement?

Dev Anand Teelucksingh: Dev Anand Teelucksingh here. Just a follow up on Sergio. I mean I had to

leave the last hour of that session on Monday simply because I had a responsibility to be on the other working group. And ICANN, as you know Sergio, ICANN has a detailed schedule and sometimes you have to go to those meetings, especially when you have to present your papers or give a report. So

I'm just suggesting that just because somebody didn't attend or wasn't there for

the last hour means that somehow we were uncommitted or anything like that.



Elad Levinson: Okay. So is there anything that anybody would like to say in closure to this

working session. This is an opportunity in the next moment or so, last

comments before we close the working session.

Sergio Salinas Porto: Sergio Salinas Porto for the record. The missing people perhaps should

apologized by email. Yesterday I couldn't make it to certain activities because I

wanted to be here with you and because I was interested in solving certain

issues. So this is something important because it is about our region.

Jose Arcé: This is Jose Arcé for the record. We have reached the end and the result for me

is a plus. I would like to thank Rodrigo, thank you very much Rodrigo for being here always supporting the region. I would like to thank the staff people and

Elad for your work. I think the results are visible and this result is due to all the

participants here and due our commitment. So I congratulate you all for being here, for not going to the music night last night. Thank you very much Alberto,

this was a very productive meeting. Thanks for not dancing Alberto.

Male: Just that I would like to thank you all and let's move forward with the working

groups.

Alberto Soto: This is Alberto Soto for the record. I did not go dancing because there wasn't

hairdressers available at the hotel.

Elad Levinson: Thank you very much.



EN

Jose Arcé:

This is Jose Arcé speaking. We have closed the previous session but the next session is going to take place in the same room, so if you feel like stretching your legs and take a breath or fresh air do so, but please come back to this room. Thank you.

[End of Transcript]

